Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Soloing

I'll have to teach this more or less individually - so I need some sort of activity everyone else can do whilst I'm teaching each person. Maybe some sort of composition task, like coming up with a chord sequence and a melody collectively.

Soloing Points

Piano: scales practice and simple riffs -                                                                
           listening tips: Bud Powell, Don Pullen, Neal Morse

Guitar: focus on melodic nature of soloing, trying to get off the pentatonic scale... less technical, more musical.
           listening tips: Roine Stolt, Brian May, Django Reinhardt

Drums: rhythmic interpretation, shuffle beats, genre-specific playing
           listening tips: Mike Portnoy, Mark Guiliana, Neal Peart, Johan Langell

Vocals: scat singing, creating melody, use of pause - http://www.scottmusic.com/Choral%20Tips/Scat%20Singing.pdf
           listening tips: Ella Fitzgerald, Roberta Gambarini, Esperanza Spalding

Bass: grooves and fills, finger shapes, riffs and rhythms, walking bass - example_02
            listening tips: Jaco Pastorius, Kristoffer Gildenlöw, Flea

No comments:

Post a Comment