I need to decide what I will deliver the workshop on. It needs to be something I am suitably proficient in, rather than something I can't really do myself...
I've come up with three options:
- Stomp Workshop
- Jazz Workshop
- Vocal Workshop
Stomp Workshop
The advantage of doing this would be that the kids will instantly connect with it, and everyone can participate. It would consist of breaking the audience into two groups, teaching them different rhythms and then putting it together at the end - or something like that. The disadvantage of this is getting the equipment; I could probably get hold of some junk but I'd have to get a lot. Even so, this is only a minor issue and overall this would probably be the easiest workshop to deliver.
Jazz Workshop
From my point of view this would be my favourite to give, because I love jazz and I think kids don't get to experience much of it in the curriculum, let alone outside school. The idea would be to attempt to teach very basic improvisation to the kids, with percussion and their own instruments. This would, however, be difficult to arrange and would involve organising the kids to bring in their instruments, as well as trying to aquire some percussion. Also, the kids might get bored quite easily if they don't enjoy jazz music.
Vocal Workshop
The vocal workshop would involve much less equipment, and again it is something that I think most kids would like. Singing is another thing that doesn't happen enough in primary schools, so it would be nice to give them that experience. I'm not entirely sure how I'd structure the workshop but it would probably involve basic harmony. The only thing is, I'm not as confident singing as I am with rhythms or jazz, so it might not be the best plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment